Rental Application & Criteria
Each adult applicant (18 or older) must submit a fully completed, dated, and signed residency application and non-refundable application fee of $75.00. Applicants must also present current, valid, government-issued photo identification. Applicants may be required to be approved by a condo/homeowner’s association and may be required to pay an additional application fee or an additional security or damage deposit.
Your application will not be processed without the correct funds and all required documentation attached. This form must accompany the rental application.
Application fees, deposits, and all move-in fees must be remitted in the form of money orders or certified funds (cash is not accepted).
An investigative consumer report, including but not limited to, residential history (rental or mortgage), employment history, criminal history records, court records, and credit records, will be conducted as a part of the application process. If your application is denied, you will be provided with a notice of adverse action which will give you instructions on how to contact the consumer credit-reporting agency and obtain a free copy of your consumer credit report. A copy of “A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act” is attached to this document.
In accordance with federal, state, and local Fair-Housing laws, Mount Vernon Property Management, Inc. (MVPM) does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, familial status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
To ensure high-quality residents, we require that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must demonstrate a combined gross income of at least three (3) times the monthly rent. Applicants must present the past two (2) months of consecutive pay stubs. We reserve the right to verify employment. Self-employed and non-employed applicants are required to produce two (2) years of personal tax returns or 1099s and three (3) months’ personal bank statements.
- All sources of other income including pension, alimony, child support, Social Security, or disability-assistance payments must be verifiable if needed to qualify for a rental unit.
- A minimum credit score of 600 is required. Applicants with credit scores below 600 may be considered with an additional deposit. We reserve the right to require additional deposits from applicants who have no credit history.
- Credit history and or Civil Court Records must not contain any open bankruptcy or an eviction ever. Applicants with up to two (2) initial eviction filings may be considered with an additional deposit.
- Applicants without a Social Security number must pay the last three (3) months’ rent in advance and must show proof of U.S. citizenship or of permitted stay in the U.S. and meet all other income documentation requirements.
- Criminal records must contain no felony convictions for crimes involving the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance within the last 7 years, felonies resulting in bodily harm or intentional damage or destruction of property, for example, “arson”, within the last 7 years, and no sexual offenses ever.
- Previous residential rental history is required. Previous rental-history reports from landlords must reflect timely payment, sufficient notice of intent to vacate, no complaints regarding noise, disturbances, or illegal activities, no unpaid NSF checks, and no damage to the unit or failure to leave the property clean and without damage at time of lease termination. Applicants without rental history must document home ownership through our credit screening or other documentation from the mortgagee.
- No pets (except documented medically-necessary animals) of any kind are permitted without specific written permission of landlord in the lease document, an addendum to the lease, a pet-application and $100.00 pet-application fee per pet, and an additional pet fee, deposit, or monthly pet rent as determined by the landlord. Fees and deposits are waived for medically-necessary animals. The following pets will not be accepted: GERMAN SHEPHERDS, DOBERMANS, PIT BULLS (STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIERS), CHOWS, ROTTWEILERS, SIBERIAN HUSKIES, AKITAS, MALAMUTES, PRESA CANARIOS, AND WOLF-HYBRIDS.
- Applicants will be required to pay a security deposit at the time of lease execution in a minimum amount of one month’s rent. We reserve the right to collect additional prepaid rent.
- Applicants with tax liens or other judgments within the past 12 months may be considered with an additional deposit.
- Applicants with landlord debt within the past 7 years or utility debt within the past 12 months will be required to provide proof of payment in full.
The number of occupants must be in compliance with HUD standards/guidelines for the applied for unit which is currently 2 persons per bedroom.
Exceptions to the Resident Selection Criteria
Any exceptions to our company’s criteria will need to be submitted in writing to the rental agent for presentation to the landlord for consideration. If approval is given for such exceptions, additional security deposit, a guarantor, and/or additional advance rent payments may be required.
Roommates will be held equally responsible for rental agreements and must qualify separately on all criteria.
Normally, applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis; however, MVPM may receive multiple applications from unrelated parties on the same property at approximately the same time. Due to our fiduciary responsibility to the property owner, if more than one (1) application is submitted before approval can be achieved, we will process all applications for consideration as to what we (in our sole discretion) deem the best applicant, which may not necessarily be the first application received. If your application is approvable, but not approved for the property for which you are applying (or the property for which you applied becomes unavailable for any other reason), you may consider applying for other properties MVPM has available within 15 days of payment of your application fee without payment of an additional application fee.
MVPM requires a “Good-Faith Deposit” in certified funds in the amount of one month’s rent to hold the property while considering the approval of this application. Even once an applicant is approved, the property will remain on the market for backup offers until which time a lease has been signed. If the applicant is approved but fails to enter into the contemplated lease within 48 hours of receipt, the Good-Faith Deposit will be retained by MVPM as liquidated damages. The Good-Faith Deposit is non-refundable except when the applicant cancels this application with written notice within 48 hours of MVPM’s receipt of the Good-Faith Deposit, or if the application is not approved. Refunds will be sent via mail to the address listed on the application within 30 days of written notice of cancellation.
Once the applicant is approved and the contemplated lease is entered into, a $150.00 fee for videotaped inspections and administrative costs will be deducted from the Good-Faith Deposit, with the remainder applied toward the security deposit. Should the applicant seek to terminate the lease prior to the agreed-upon move-in date, MVPM shall retain the security deposit as liquidated damages. The $150.00 fee for videotaped inspections and administrative costs is required of each tenancy, is non-refundable, and will be due upon lease-signing, regardless of whether a Good-Faith Deposit has been paid.
Notice of Adverse Action
Applicants whose application for tenancy has been denied will be provided with a Notice of Adverse Action which entitles them to a copy of the credit report upon request within 60 days.
Application Processing Time
We will make every effort to process your application quickly; this will usually occur within 2 business days, provided we have received all requisite supporting documentation from you. Circumstances that may delay a decision on your application may include: additionally-required application materials or difficulty contacting references.
Mount Vernon Property Management, Inc., as a Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker, is acting as the Owner’s agent and representative. You are advised that MOUNT VERNON PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, INC., as Owner’s agent, is being paid a commission by the owner for renting these premises. Should you desire, you are entitled to your own representation.
If you’re interested in applying to one of our rental properties, please feel free to print and complete our rental application. Please be prepared to bring a cashier’s check or money order for the good-faith deposit and a $75.00 application fee for each adult, as well as a driver’s license and all supporting income documentation for each proposed adult applicant before the application can be processed.